The National Automobile Museum – MAUTO – is one of the oldest of its kind: it was founded in 1933, with a first exhibition of historic cars conceived by two pioneers of national motoring, Cesare Goria Gatti and Roberto Biscaretti di Ruffia. It was Carlo Biscaretti di Ruffia (son of Roberto) who conceived it, imagined it, gathered the initial collection, fought to make it real and worked all his life to give it a dignified home. Opened to the public in the autumn of 1960 in the premises designed by architect Amedeo Albertini, it was completely renovated and enlarged in 2011 for the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the unification of Italy based on a project by architect Cino Zucchi and with a new exhibition path set up by the French-Swiss scenographer François Confino: two years later the Times ranks it among the 50 most beautiful museums in the world. Along the way, the history of cars is told, the transformation from a mean of transport to an object that is worshipped, from its origins to the contemporary evolution of creative thinking: about 150 cars are on display, in addition to cars on a temporary loan. The remaining 60 cars in the collection are stored in an underground space, called the “Open Garage”, accessible only by reservation. To complete the museum itinerary, there is an exhibition area, the Documentation Center, the Educational Center, the Congress Center and theRestoration Center, which carries out ordinary and extraordinary maintenance activities for the cars in the collection, following the scientific methodology in the diagnostic phase and a conservative restoration criteria during functional interventions.